Examples of Capitalist exploitation in Romania…

As we have talked about in class many times before, capitalists in a capitalist country try their hardest to squeeze what they can out of their workers as they are the ones who turn supplies into goods.Their exploitation is one of the single worst aspects of capitalism and in Romania some foreign workers finally took a stand. In the Phillipines, 95 textile workers had a contractual agreement to “a basic wage of 400 US Dollars, 100 percent bonus for over-time and free accommodation and food” to work in Romania. Because of this agreement, these same workers took out loans back in Manila to pay for the travel fees and the agency who found them the job in the amount of 2500 USD. Once they arrived in Romania however, Mondostar, the company that had hired them forced the workers to “sign a second contract…to undermine the previous contractual agreement, to squeeze out a maximum labour performance and to lower their own expenses”. The new agreement called for a 60 hour work week paying 235 US dollars a month, and 165 of which would be deducted for food and accommodation. This is the absurdity of capitalist principles, as making a profit and cutting expenditures was far more important for Mondostar than keeping their business integrity and ethics. However, the workers plight was not over as they could only stay in Romania if they kept their job at Mondostar, and now they had incurred massive debts back home in the Phillipines because they had taken out the loans. Their complaints at the Phillipine embassy caused Mondostar to not be able to hire any more foreign workers and 78 of the workers eventually quit 5 months after their hiring. It’s crazy to think about capitalism screwing so many people, but it does on a day-to-day basis. I think maybe with correct legislation and workers rights, capitalism would still tend to do the same because the overall goal is to maximize profit at any cost. But in Romania? A third world country can never have that type of protection for their workers, and that is why capitalism hurts so many people. When you lessen trade barriers and open up economies and make everything a competition, ethics and integrity are thrown out the window.

http://sites.google.com/site/radicalperspectivesonthecrisis/struggles/wildcatreportoncrisisromania

313 Responses to Examples of Capitalist exploitation in Romania…

1. I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :). “He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.” by Johann von Goethe.

2. I genuinely enjoy reading through on this internet site , it holds superb articles .

3. But wanna remark that you have a very decent web site , I enjoy the style it really stands out.

4. Very interesting details you have noted , thankyou for putting up. “Whatever one man is capable of conceiving, other men will be able to achieve.” by Jules Verne.

5. Great write-up, I’m normal visitor of one’s site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time. “Good nonsense is good sense in disguise.” by Josh Billings.

6. Appreciate it for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting info . “Every man is the builder of a temple called his body.” by Henry David Thoreau.

7. Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.I’m attempting to to find issues to enhance my website!I guess its ok to use a few of your concepts!!

8. Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specifically the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

9. Yay google is my queen assisted me to find this great web site ! . “Don’t rule out working with your hands. It does not preclude using your head.” by Andy Rooney.

10. Deference to post author, some great information . “It’s always too early to quit.” by Norman Vincent Peale.

11. Keep up the wonderful piece of work, I read few content on this site and I believe that your website is rattling interesting and holds circles of wonderful information.