Mission of This Page
The idea behind this page is to create a living document where Zicklin business students can post thoughts on:
- How we are thinking about sustainability in the context of business
- What we think the nexus of business and sustainability is in the new millennium
- Comments on articles, books, blog posts we have read
- Observations on current issues and new perspectives
By rolling over this page from semester to semester to the succeeding Bus 9770 class (Business Sustainability), we hope to capture the evolution of students' thoughts in the business school arena, as well as build on each others' thinking.
By making this page viewable to those outside the class, as well as outside of the university, we will bring this discussion and our musings to a broader audience, to spur debate and bring change.
Be a Contributor
- The site is open to those who want to contribute through blog posts or wiki-style content pages. Request a userID here. Current students are automatically enrolled.
This course has been designed to give students an introduction to the theory and practice of sustainable business. It is the foundational course for the Sustainable Business major in the MBA program. The course is designed to enable students to develop their understanding of the concept of sustainability; its importance, its application to business, and its economic, social and environmental implications. The role of government and NGOs in sustainable development will be explored vis-à-vis their relationship to business. Ethics and its role in sustainability will be discussed throughout the course.
- The Prize Series
- The Price of Civilization
- Presentation by Yuri Polykavov, Ph.D. Babcock Ranch Sustainable Development
- NYT | The Truth, Still Inconvenient
- CSR Wire | Blue Sky Thinking for Sustainability
- Guest Speaker — Cary Krosinsky, Principal of TruCost
- Economist | How Green Is Their Growth
- MIT Mgmt Review | What Executives Don’t Get About Sustainability (and Further Notes on the Profit Motive)
- SAP | Sustainability Report
- Fast Company | How to Save Billions in Building and Bridge Repair: Coat Them In Burnt Coal Ash
- Bloomberg | Google Wind Project Seeks U.S. Approval for Offshore Power Line
- TED | Michael Pawlyn: Using nature’s genius in architecture
- WNYC | Lawmakers Refuel Effort to Create Hybrid Taxi Fleet
Must Reads for Sustainability
Hot, Flat & Crowded by Thomas Friedman
Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough & Michael Braungart
Creating Shared Value by M Porter & M Kramer
Why Sustainability Is Now the Key Driver of Innovation R.Nidumolu, C.K.Prahalad & M.R.Rangaswami
Natural Capitalism by Amory Lovins
Ecological Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
America's Green Strategy, M. Porter