Category Archives: News
Tomorrow, (Tuesday, December 7), we’ll be going to the Angelika Film Center to see the 12:55 pm showing of “Inside Job,” a documentary about the financial meltdown of 2007.
Directions to the Angelika Film Center
- Get on one of the cars at the front of the downtown 6 train at 23rd Street.
- Get off at the Bleecker Street station.
- Walk to platform exit by the front of the train, which leads you to a transfer to the F train and, more importantly, to an exit one block from the theater; keep walking through the station heading to the exit labeled “NE corner of Broadway and Houston).
- When you come up out of the exit at the NE corner of Broadway and Houston, cross Broadway, walk past the Crate and Barrel, and the Anglika Film Center should be right there on Houston (at the corner or Mercer Street)
- Here’s a map showing the exact location of the theater.
Information about the Movie
- Scott, A.O. “Inside Job.” New York Times. New York Times, 7 Oct. 2010. Web. 6 Dec. 2010.
The homework assignment, “Finding Scholarly Resources in Google”, was originally scheduled to be due on Monday, October 25. I’ve rethought where that assignment should fall in the semester and have pushed it back to Wednesday, November 10. This assignment will require each group in the class to do a 10-minute presentation on how to use Google to find authoritative and scholarly resources.
I’ve uploaded to the course website a new course syllabus to reflect this change.
I realized that one of the 10 homework assignments for the semester was on the course website but not on the syllabus. I’ve now added the homework assignment, “Controlled Vocabulary,” to the syllabus and uploaded a revised syllabus to the course website.
As always, detailed instructions about how to do the homework can be found on the homework assignments page of the course website.
I just made the following updates to the syllabus:
- Homework assignment (Background research on your topic for your final project) that was originally due on Sep. 29 is now due on Oct. 4. Complete details about the homework assignment on the “Homework Assignments” section of the course website.
- Added a reading for Oct. 4. A link to the reading (an article that can be found online) is on the “Readings” section of the course website.
I just uploaded a new version of the syllabus to the course website. The only change was the due date for the homework assignment, “Google vs. Wikipedia vs. subject encyclopedias.” Originally, that assignment was due September 20 (Wednesday); now it is due on September 22 (Monday).
I just uploaded a new version of the syllabus to the course web site:
Here are the changes I made:
- The homework assignment (AND vs. OR searching) that was scheduled originally to be due on September 13 is now due on September 21
- On Monday, September 13, we discuss the topic of basic search before moving on to discuss what is research. We’ll have an in-class activity probably about AND vs. OR searching (this will help teach you what you will need to do the AND vs. OR searching homework assignment due on September 21)
Have a good weekend.