Volunteers Are Needed This Tax Season
VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HELP?
If you would like to gain new skills or put old skills to use this tax season, VITA might be just what you are looking for!
Seedco is seeking volunteers this tax season to participate in its VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – program. Volunteers will receive training from the IRS and provide free tax assistance to tax payers who cannot afford professional tax help, particularly those who file basic tax returns and are eligible for tax credits.
WHAT IS SEEDCO?
Seedco’s expertise and extensive experience allows us to provide innovative solutions in the area of economic development.
- We focus on emerging economic issues that affect workers, families, and small businesses.
- In response to these issues, we move quickly to forge partnerships with community-based organizations, and leverage funding to design and launch innovative programs.
- As we and our community-based partners implement programs, we collect data about our work so we can measure our performance and make ongoing improvements and refinements.
- Finally, we share what we have learned with other nonprofits, policy makers, and service providers so that the best programs can be reproduced on a larger scale.
As a consultant and policy adviser: Seedco measures the impact of each our programs and disseminates best practices to the field. Through a process of consulting and technical assistance, we share what we learn with other nonprofit organizations, policy makers, and service providers.
For more information on Seedco, check out www.seedco.org
VITA – VOLUNTEERS WILL…
- Complete free and convenient IRS tax training and become a certified VITA volunteer – Certification is required to be a VITA volunteer. Training will take 9-25 hours to complete, depending on the tax experience of the volunteer (previous tax preparation is preferred but not required).
- Volunteer at least 4 hours per week between January 13, 2014 – April 15, 2014
- Help individuals prepare basic tax Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ electronically
- Inform individuals of tax credits, deductions, and exemptions that they may be able to claim on their tax returns.
- Join a diverse team of enthusiastic volunteers
VITA – VOLUNTEERS ARE…
- From all types of backgrounds: members of volunteer or community organizations, business professionals, college students, retired workers, Certified Public Accountants, etc.
- Individuals interested in assisting individuals with their tax returns
VITA – VOLUNTEERS HAVE…
- Some experience completing income tax forms
- An interest in interacting with individuals with diverse backgrounds and situations
- Basic computer skills needed to file electronic tax returns
HOW TO SIGN UP…
Persons interested in participating in the VITA program should contact: