As discussed in last evening’s class, here is some information on 4th Bin.
The 4th Bin is the only company in New York City picking up electronic waste from local businesses and residents. Currently, there is no simple and inexpensive way to recycle or reuse discarded electronics. Today, when an individual or an organization needs to get rid of old electronics, it is very difficult to do so. It’s equally difficult to ensure that the discarded materials will be handled using ethical and environmentally responsible methods. In response to this situation, The 4th Bin has developed an easy, inexpensive, and ethical system for e-waste rescue and disposal. They have partnered with local community and national nonprofit organizations such as City Harvest to help get the word out and to make sure that some of the profits from this activity go to worthy causes.
How it works:
- The 4th Bin makes recycling your old electronics Simple, convinient, and affordable. They come to your home or business to pick up the items.
- The first step is filling out a request form.Once a form is submitted, a 4th Bin representative will quote a price and schedule a pickup day and time.
- The e-waste is removed by trained technicians .Items are carefully packed into The 4th Bin truck to protect from any breakage of electronic devices.
- The e-waste is then driven to thier Local Sorting Facility, items are seperated and classified as either “reusable” or “recyclable.”
- Items classified as “reusable” are refurbished and sold at discount prices on ebay, Craigslist, or through Terracycle. “Recyclable”items are sent to thier recycling partners for processing.