1. Does modernity destroy mankind’s humanity?
2. Does the quality of the nurture one receives in early childhood determine one’s character as an adult?
3. Is it realistic to pursue absolute freedom? At what point would one be absolutely free? Is freedom a state of mind?
4. How is identity shaped by social status and economic means?
5. Which is more true, our inner life or the outer appearance those around us see?
6. Are the male portrayals of women we see in these texts misogynistic? Are women viewed as purely instrumental?
7. The texts we’ve read in the second half of the semester include several characters we might describe as narcissistic. What do these stories tell us about narcissism?
8. What is the moral relationship between colonizer and colonized?