Every university has its watershed moments—those years that feature prominently in institutional timelines. For Baruch College, this year celebrating the quindecennial of the naming of the Zicklin and Weissman Schools, the years 1847, 1919, 1929, 1953, 1968, and 1998 represent such turning points.
The Baruch Backstory
Before Baruch College was Baruch College—only in 1968 did it become a senior college in the City University of New York system—it had many precursors. Originally, there was the Free Academy, the first institution of free public higher education in the nation, founded in 1847 and built on 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue. More than a half century later, in 1919 the City College of New York (the renamed Free Academy), which had relocated to northern Manhattan in 1907, created a School of Business and Civic Administration. In 1929 that school found a new home on the heritage site of the Free Academy (today the College’s historical hub, the Field Building at 17 Lexington Avenue).